BATTLE OF BRITAIN (EPIC)

BATTLE OF BRITAIN:
AN EPIC CONFLICT REVISITED
by Christer Bergström

Translated into English in 2015, it caused a bit of a stir amongst some reviewers & historians regarding the author's views on correcting a few old myths. 
I was certainly interested to see what I would learn.

First thing to say is that it is a very impressive looking book & at over 300 pages in A4 size, there is a great deal of reading that awaits the reader.
The author states that having been in contact with BoB veterans for over 40 years & having access to documents that have not been in the public domain, "he has found concrete evidence that some long-standing beliefs can be refuted." Having also access to many German veterans & documents, it is clear throughout the book there is a great deal more told from the German side, as well as some excellent & rarely seen photographs. 

One interesting point early on is about the Messerschmitt 110. The author believes that had more been available to the Luftwaffe, the 110's longer flying range then the Me 109, would of meant that those RAF Squadrons transferred to quieter areas to rest & regroup, would not have had the chance to.
As we know the 109's couldn't fly for very long over England.

Christer moves on to compare both the aircraft & the commanders of both airforces.
Again he raises some interesting points on the Spitfire vs Messerschmitt debate. As well as making an interesting point of defending Göering on the subject of close fighter support for German bombers. He says Goering felt the best protection for the bombers was for his fighters to hunt freely by arriving first & attacking the RAF fighters as they climbed from their airfields. It was the Luftwaffe generals in France who changed the orders to keep the fighters with the bombers. 
Far better qualified people than me will have their own views. 

The vast part of the book then becomes a comprehensive day-by-day account of the battle. It makes for fascinating reading with the additional bonus of more insights from the German point of view. The exaggerated figures for success & losses, quoted by both sides, is corrected as much as possible.
I'm pleased to say that Bomber Command's contribution during the BoB is also not forgotten. 

In his concluding chapter he again makes some interesting points. I remember one previous  review stated he criticised Keith Park. I have not found that to be the case and he certainly praises him at this point as well as mentions the unfair treatment & removal of both Park & Dowding after the battle.
Once again & rightly so, it is Leigh-Mallory whose behaviour comes under question. 

I have thoroughly enjoyed the book and the extra German content adds greatly to learning more on the subject. A book I'm delighted to recommend & one I'm sure I will refer back to often.
Highly recommended. 

The hardback edition of the book is available now published by Casemate UK. 
I thank them for this review copy. 





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MITCHELL

ROYAL NAVY FORCE H: 1940-42

THE DUMMY DRONE