SECRET PROJECTS OF THE LUFTWAFFE IN PROFILE
SECRET PROJECTS OF THE LUFTWAFFE IN PROFILE

by Daniel Uhr & Dan Sharp.
If I think of jet aircraft during the second world war period, my immediate thought would be Germany's Me 262.
Having read several books on the aircraft's development and short service as a fighter in the final months of the second world war, it is a story seemingly of politics and delays, followed by a lack of spare parts, fuel and trained pilots.
How remarkable then to learn via this beautifully designed and glossy book, just how many other projects the Germans had designed and then attempted to build.
From the brilliant minds of those within the Messerschmitt, Junkers and Focke-Wulf companies came a host of often unusal aircraft designs. Many look futuristic, dare I say almost Thunderbird-ish, whilst others appear beyond the realms of possibility, certainly for this reader's imagination.
For those which did get in the air, even if just for a short time, I can only have total respect for their test pilots.
On one occasion, after being shown two different designs for a twin-jet bomber, Hermann Göring gave both designers 500,000 Reichmarks to go and construct each prototype!
Although the jet age took off post-1945, the dates of many of these designs are surprisingly early in the war. Even during the war years a replacement for the Me 262 was being sought.
Oe thing is for sure, had the Germans had that fighter flying earlier and in more numbers, the air war over Europe could of had a very different ending.
With over 200 profiles on offer, every turned page has revealed something to admire, learn about and occasionally raise an eyebrow at. The text explaining the idea of the designs, whose designs they were and how far to completion they went, was fascinating.
I have learnt a great deal and thoroughly enjoyed the book. It is another high quality product from the publisher and one I shall enjoy looking back through again.
The hardback book is published by Mortons Publishing and is available direct through their website
www.mortonbooks.co.uk
I thank them for this review copy.
Comments
Post a Comment