AIRCRAFT OF THE ROYAL NAVY SINCE 1908
AIRCRAFT OF THE ROYAL NAVY SINCE 1908
by David Hobbs.
Introducing the book, author David Hobbs describes this as his largest book project so far and one he openly admits to initially under-estimating the scale of its task.
His immense research has revealed 96 different manufacturers and over 420 designed or manufactured aircraft types for the navy.
From airships to helicopters and from the early float planes to the modern jet. The list is quite incredible.
Listed in alphabetical order of the manufacturers, the text goes through each model and every page includes photographs and where available, design drawings.
The amount of page space varies for each aircraft based on history and service. I was delighted that my own personal favourite, the Sea Vixen, received several pages of attention.
What I also found impressive is that David has also included aircraft that might only have been a prototype and/or trialled. Proving again, that getting a mention here reveals the level of his research.
The information supplied on each aircraft is varied and doesn't just read as a mass of data and specifications, making this a far more enjoyable and varied read.
This coffee table sized book is a high quality publication that I have no doubt will be immensely popular with aviation, naval and history readers.
A book that will surely prove to be one that is forever kept handy for both reference and repeated enjoyment.
A fabulous book which I am delighted to have had a chance to read.
The hardback book is available now and published by Seaforth Publishing, an imprint of Pen & Sword Books.
I thank Seaforth for this review copy.
Comments
Post a Comment