THE HITLER ASSASSINATION ATTEMPTS
THE HITLER ASSASSINATION ATTEMPTS
By John Grehan.
The 'what if' Hitler had been assassinated question has been covered previously in both books and film. This particular book surprisingly reveals that there were far more planned attempts on Hitler's life than certainly I had realised.
Even long before the second world war there were many within Germany who disagreed with Hitler politically. The first attempt on his life was as early as 1921.
From shootings to bombings, the many assassination plots described in the book were often poorly planned. Many were thwarted by Hitler himself, who would change his schedule at the very last minute or order his driver to make a diversion.
The more chapters I read, covering these individual attempts, the more I wondered why I hadn't heard about so many of them before. As the author explains, with the exception of the most serious attempts on his life, Hitler and the Nazi Party hushed them up. They didn't want the German population to think that there were people out there who actually wanted him dead.
As both fiction writers and historians will continue to ponder, we can only guess as to what would have happened had one of the assassins mentioned here, actually succeeded.
This excellent book has proved to be a captivating read.
As well as learning of the many attempts and the potential assailants, we learn more of the pre-war political and social climate within Germany.
This is another highly researched account by John Grehan and is definitely a recommended read.
The hardback book is available now and published by Frontline Books an imprint of Pen and Sword Books.
I thank P&S for this review copy..
Comments
Post a Comment