DORNIER DO 17 IN THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN
DORNIER Do 17 IN THE BATTLE OF BRITAIN
By Chris Goss
*It has also proven to be of great assistance to me with a family story of which, for those interested, I include after this review.
Each chapter of the book covers a month and begins with Chris providing a short summary of the Luftwaffe's strategy and targets in which the Dornier units were involved.
The huge collection of photographs that follow include many taken onboard during raids over England and aircraft that were either shot down or somehow managed to return to the Continent before crash landing.
The extensive Appendix at the back is a researcher's dream if you require information on a particular date, an aircraft and their crews.
This is a high quality illustrated publication with many recently found photographs that have been published here for the first time.
I'm both delighted and thankful to the publisher for allowing me to receive and review a copy, which has been both an enjoyable read and has also provided me with some missing information.
The book is available now and published by Air World, an imprint of Pen and Sword Books.
I thank P&S for this review copy.
*****
21 August 1940 was always imprinted on my late father's mind. Aged ten at the time, he had been helping his father on the Lincolnshire farm where they lived when the approaching sound of aircraft began a memorable experience.
Three Spitfires were engaged with three Do17's and as the fighters opened fire many of their hot ammunition cases rained down into the field around my family members. Several of these were soon collected and were still on my grandparent's mantelpiece when I visited in the 1980's. These cherished items are now in my possession.
As dad would often tell this story he also didn't know anything beyond what he had seen.
As an adult, my own interest and book collection soon grew and I managed to fill to share some information that included where the Spitfires were based, the pilots names and that the third bomber was shot down over the North Sea.
(The other two had collided in mid-air and crashed nearby with few survivors)
I was delighted to find that this book not only had photographs of the bombers, but the Appendix included all the details of these three Dorniers and the crews.
Whilst I cannot sadly share this with dad, it's great to now have filled the gaps in his story.
Thanks for reading.
Comments
Post a Comment