FAIRCHILD REPUBLIC A-10 THUNDERBOLT II
FAIRCHILD REPUBLIC A-10 THUNDERBOLT II
By Peter C Smith.
Renowned aviation historian Peter C Smith turns his attention to the 'tankbuster', as I used to call it in my youth and begins by looking at the role of aircraft as 'close air support' for ground troops in WWII.
In this comprehensive account of the A-10, we follow the story of the aircraft through its design, construction and eventual military service in the Gulf War.
Highly manoeuvrable, heavily armed and able to withstand direct hits, this 'flying gun' can fire 65 rounds per second from its cannon gun.
An incredible looking aircraft, the 'Warthog' or 'Hog' has been in service for almost 50 years and is now gradually being retired by the US Air Force.
One of my favourite aircraft as a teenager, I'm delighted to have now had a chance to read such a thoroughly comprehensive and enjoyable book that, along with some great photos, reveals its entire story and incredible service.
The book is available now and is published by Air World, an imprint of Pen and Sword Books.
I thank P&S for this review copy.
Comments
Post a Comment