ATLANTIC FURIES

ATLANTIC FURIES
By Midge Gillies 

It was only back in August that my partner and I visited Burry Port on the South Wales coast. Here a memorial remembers Amelia Earhart, the first woman to fly the Atlantic, who came ashore at this point on June 18th 1928.
I admitted then to a lack of knowledge of the event and was more recently delighted to hear of the approaching publication of this new book.

Midge not only reveals the story of Earhart, but those of other women who showed great determination and resilience, often in the face of sexism and racism. In such a man's world even those women wealthy enough to financially back a project, had to show great tenacity and would set-up their own company.

Flying lessons proved to be a difficult and costly venture and was often done secretly and against the wishes of the women's closest loved ones.
To go on to then be a part of such a dangerous venture as a flight across the Atlantic, would lead to the break-up of many relationships and for some of our women pilots, it would sadly be a tragic end to their story.

With such impeccable research, Midge has woven the stories of these women and their crews into a compelling read. So much so, that I flew through it in just a few days.
Having learnt so much, I can only say that I would highly recommend 'Atlantic Furies' to all and congratulate Midge on writing one of my most favourite reads of 2025.

The book is available now, published by Scribe.
I thank Scribe for this review copy. 




Comments

Popular posts from this blog

MITCHELL

THE DUMMY DRONE

ROYAL NAVY FORCE H: 1940-42